This GPS location is actually at El Pico Sacro - Santiago de Compostela. Santiago de Compostela is a sacred site for the Knights Templar.
"In the early 9th century, in a forest called Libredón, the remains of St. James were found according to the tradition. Soon after the discovery of a tomb, the Episcopal see settled in Iria (Padrón) was transferred to Compostela. The fact that the sepulchre was found is the reason why the city was built.
During the 10th century the small town began to consolidate as a demographic, administrative and exchange centre.
In the following centuries, 11th and 12th, an important urban development took place. In this period, thanks to peregrination to the sanctuary, to its commercial control on the lands of the coast and the several constructions carried out under the orders of different bishops, the town consolidates its expansion and its domain.
In the early 12th century, with this religious, political and cultural splendour, they began to build the central nave of the cathedral. In this period the bishop Xelmírez got the Episcopal 'Cadeira' from Rome and was actively involved in the development of the town. " continue reading
From 'Sacred Site of the Knights Templar' by John K. Young, Ph.D.
'..Pilgrimages to Santiago were first organized by monks of the French congregation of Cluny. The second church at Santiago in turn was destroyed by the Moorish general Almanzor, who confiscated its doors and church bells... a new cathedral, dedicated by Pope Urban II in A.D. 1105. Thenceforth, Santiago was put under the supervision of a Benedictine order of French monks, who also supervised the pilgrimage routes leading through southern France. In 1164, the military and religious order of St. James of the Sword was founded, much like the Knights Templar, to protect the pilgrimage road leading to Santiago.'
'....A twentieth century archeological excavation has confirmed the great age of the tomb, which has now been incorporated into the cathedral of Santiago. Originally, the tomb was located in a Roman cemetery besides the principal north-south road of Galicia, constructed perhaps as early as A.D. 100. Behind the tomb is a massive Roman wall later used by builders as part of the cathedral.'
Saint James Organization
N42° 48.458 W 008° 26.913
UTM: 29T E 545087 N 4739600
or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com
|DMS||42°48'27.47" N||8°26'54.78" W|
|Universal Transverse Mercator (UTM)|
|Zone||Easting (meters)||Northing (meters)|
Coordinates are not inside conterminous 48 States, no NAD-27 data provided.
Santiago de Compostela
The Camino Frances from St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port to Santiago de Compostela
(769 km = 480 miles)
See http://www.santiago-compostela.com/ for more information.
Check out this site for information on traveling the "Way of St. James" via horseback. http://www.elcaminoacaballo.com/paginamarcosingles.html